Put the Swai pieces, zests and juices into a large resealable plastic bag.
Refrigerate for at least an hour (not more than three), turning occasionally to
distribute the marinade.
Drain the marinade and put the fish in a large serving bowl. Add the vegetables
and seasonings, tossing gently to combine. (We like to add the avocado cubes
at the end so they look crisp and fresh.) Cover and refrigerate for 20 or 30
minutes before serving. Garnish with plantain chips or a few popped corn
kernels, as desired.
- 1 pound Swai fillets, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh grapefruit zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, sliced paper thin
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, no stems
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse or kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar (turbinado, if you have it)
- ½ teaspoon toasted and ground cumin
- 1 perfect fresh avocado, peeled and diced